miércoles, 25 de mayo de 2011

Materials: Adopting? Adapting? Designing? Help!!

All along my masters course of Materials’ Design my classmates, professor and I have analyzed different textbooks and other materials used for English teaching in different programs and directed to different kinds of population too; nevertheless, we still argue which of three strategies is the best; adopting, adapting or design your own materials. Last class we had the opportunity to share with Mr. Francisco Vargas which is the representative of Cambridge University Press, a very well known university and publisher since the 1900’s, and who gave us some principles when choosing such as important decision of selecting the materials we will use on our classrooms.
I have come out with my own perception and I have analyzed that the three of them have their advantages and disadvantages, but I feel more inclined to use only two of the three strategies: adapting and designing. In regards to adapting materials, I use this technique since I consider that is important that we use materials which have been designed by experts and researchers of the field who know about the topic. Besides, at my workplaces, the syllabuses were designed according to a book, so this is the corpus and the guide of the topics to be developed along the program. But on the other side, as we teachers know, textbooks are standard and they do not satisfy completely our students’ needs; there is when it comes the need of adapt the activities and topics that those books offer to our goals, looking for different strategies of using these activities based on what we want our students to reach.
About designing our own materials, I am the supporter number one since I love designing my own materials according to a specific group, types of learning, level of performance and objectives to reach. Our own materials completely seek to please our students’ necessities and they are completely original and authentic. But designing materials is time consuming and unfortunately many teachers do not have the economic support or possibilities to create their tools.
So, I believe that each teacher should have judgment and have as well a clear idea of what they want to do in their classes. If we really know our objectives, we will have the enough knowledge and discernment to choose appropriately our materials and make the difference in our classrooms.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario